Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Geographically Distant Job

Steven wrote with the following question:

I am currently working for a company as a DBA, Web Developer, Network Administrator, System Administrator, and Help Desk. These are all jobs I can do, and do well, but I am not able to do any of them exceptionally well, since I change hats at least three times an hour. I took the position at the offered pay because it was the first opportunity I had to re-enter the field in almost 3 years.

Now, there is a position opening in the area that I would like to be and most importantly wearing a Programmer/DBA hat with only the side duties of Web Development. This is where I started, and the discipline I enjoy and have the most ability in. The added bonus to this position would be closer to friends and family, a monetary pay raise, and a non-monetary raise due to lower cost of living.


I have found that employers prefer to choose a local candidate, even if someone expresses a willingness to relocate. I don't have to worry about time lost to find housing as I have both friends and family where I want to return; I just have to pack up my things and go (which could be done in a weekend with me ready to start on a Monday morning). How can I make sure that I am seriously considered when I am not local geographically?

Steven raises a good point which is that employers often prefer local candidates because of the reduced cost in interviewing and the savings in relocation packages. My advice--especially in your situation--is to take the initiative to reduce those costs.

Consider proposing an interview date that coincides with a visit to your family. How do you write a cover letter for employment? How you close the letter is important for driving the situation in your favor. For instance, the last paragraph of your cover letter could read as follows:

I'm very excited about your organization; I think this opportunity is a strong fit both for your needs and my background. I'll be in San Francisco from February 7th-11th during which I'd like to schedule a session to discuss the position in person. I can be reached at (321) 234-7748.

Later during the interview process if relocation arises, be sure to emphasis that you are familiar with the area and will not require assistance with finding a new residence. Additionally, you can suggest that you are not that concerned with who finances relocation costs (if this is indeed the case).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my biggest problem right now. I'm looking to make the switch of living places after college. Now I see where I was mistaken.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In response to the last post, I wouldn't use a friend's address unless you actually live there (or plan on living there). You want to be as honest as you can at all times.

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. That is my situation, should I be offered the job. I would move in with my friend for the first month while I locate an apartment. I know the area fairly well -- what hasn't changed in the few years I have been away. I can tell you that my problem would be getting back home as the position looks to be one they want to hire for yesterday.


//Steven

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home